A few months back, I went through a really tough break up. Break ups suck in the first place but this was my first serious boyfriend I had since my accident and I was pretty certain things would have ended differently, if they ended at all. I was so torn up about it and so hurt.. I felt terrible about myself. I was miserable and it's taken me some time to realize I am only hurting myself. I wanted to share some of the things I did to help me get over the breakup and a few things I did to help me feel happy again.
/ Talk About Your Feelings.
- It's so important to TALK about your feelings with someone, even if it's your cat. It's unhealthy to keep your feelings to yourself or mask them. For the longest time, I kept a lot of my feelings inside because I felt stupid or thought everyone was too busy. The people who love you will always make time to listen to you.
/ Pamper Yourself.
- Go treat yourself! Have a YOU day. Get your nails done, go shopping, get a massage. It's amazing how great you'll feel after.
/ Stop Saying Sorry For Things YOU haven't done.
- I'm so bad about saying I'M sorry for things other people do when they won't even understand their faults. If you allow people to take over you like that, you're going to miserable.
/ Learn To Stand Up For Yourself
- This one is the hardest for me. I'm always convinced I'm at fault, so I back down to others and let others tell me what to do. It took me a while to realize I AM valuable and I am important and my feelings matter. I will not allow someone to treat me like I am less than them any longer. Learn to walk away from the things that aren't making you happy anymore and never look back.
/ Meet NEW People.
- One thing I'm SO thankful for is that I'm able to surround myself with positive, loving people. Moving back home has opened a lot of doors for me to make new friends. It's also very important to walk away from people that aren't making you happy anymore.
/ Stay Busy.
- If nothing else, keep busy. If you allow yourself to sit and think, you're just going to end up depressed.
It's been really hard for me to walk away from situations I KNOW are toxic because I don't want to lose someone I care about.. but I've also realized that if someone truly cares about me as much as they say they do, they would learn to own up to the mistakes they've made and at least say sorry. Actions speak MUCH louder than words and I refuse to let myself be hurt anymore. Once you learn to be happy, you won't tolerate being around people who make you feel anything less.